A Call to Action

I wrote this note to people on an email list today. As a quick update, I have managed to knit on the scarves for at least an hour each of the last two days and hope to knit some more today.

Original Post Title: It's Cold. Where will you sleep tonight?

It has been very cold (for our area) for several days. It has also just begun to snow again. All this following a record wet month. With enough snow today King County to the north of me will break the all-time one-month record for precipitation.

I am lucky to have a well-insulated house in a relatively moderate climate. So many people don't. The emergency shelters all over our state are open.

I don't have a lot of the external signs of prosperity, but I know how fortunate I am. I went through my closet last week and pulled out some blankets and clothes we can live without. As soon as it's safe to drive into town, I will take them to the people who run the shelters.

I continue to knit scarves and hats of the left-over yarn other people have given me, and try to find things like soap and toothbrushes at the discount stores when I have a little extra, to put into the bags with the scarves.

I have also helped buy supplies to make lunches for habitat for humanity workers in the past. And we have some construction materials we are donating to the Habitat-run recycled material store...

And still I wonder -- what else can I do? What more can I contribute to make things just a little easier, a little safer, a littler better? I know I can't save everyone - where do I focus my energy?

We have been talking about how we need to use our resources to support our church -- it does take money to run, the people who work for our benefit deserve to have comfortable homes and living wages. We have also been talking about things happening around the world -- the needs and hopes and fears of people on the other side of the world, and political responses to these things. How do we balance their needs, our needs, with the needs right here at our doorsteps?

I focus first on my family -- then on my neighbors -- then on those in the community. I "think globally, act locally" to the best of my ability.

This balancing act, of staying sane while caring about others; of helping others while maintaining your own security... this is hard going.

And this time of year, the traditional time of giving, makes my efforts feel so inadequate. But I keep at it. Someday, maybe, I will have more to give -- in the meantime, maybe one person will have a warmer day because of my small contribution.

I would be interested in hearing how others of us approach this problem, so many people with so many needs: how to prioritize out of your limited resources?

Comments

Popular Posts