Birding

Well, I updated my "critters" list on the sidebar to include the scientific names of birds. My father was able to identify the golden-crowned kinglet that was in my yard yesterday. There was quite a flock of them, not sure I had seen any in my yard before. So, I thought I should at least be thorough enough that if someone from another place wanted to know exactly what I am seeing, they could look up an accurate picture.

Then this evening there was a mourning dove in the driveway! Hadn't seen any in my actual yard before, though I have heard them many times while I work outside. I was a little worried, because it just sat there for a long time, but I suppose it knew what it was doing. Will be watching to see if it is nesting in our yard. Apparently they nest fairly close to the ground. If so, we will want to avoid having dogs or lawn mowers operating in the area we see them.

So much fun, to meet new critters!

On Sunday, 29 Apr, my mother mentioned that it might have been a golden-crowned sparrow. Will have to check again if they visit the yard. Meantime, I have both types listed in the sidebar. ~mama

Comments

Popular Posts